Kidney stones can be painful. They are small deposits that harden inside your kidneys.
They can affect your urinary tract from the kidneys to your bladder. Most kidney stones can be passed with the help of pain medication and drinking fluids. In other instances, you may need the help of surgery or breaking up larger stones so that they can pass through your body with little damage and minimal pain.
At Northern Medical Group – Urology, we help treat your kidney stones, walking you through the process and assisting in procedures that help break up stones so your body’s urinary functions can return to a normal and healthy state.
Common symptoms of a kidney stone are:
- Severe pain in your side and back, just below the ribs
- Pain throughout your lower abdomen and groin
- Pain that comes in waves or fluctuates in its intensity
- Painful urination
- Pink, red or brown urine
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Urinating more often than usual
- Fever and chills may be present if there is an infection